12.Jan.2011 A 2010 Wrap-up Meme

from Matt:

The first book you read in 2010: Waiting by Ha Jin

The last book you finished in 2010: Nine Parts of Desire by Geraldine Brooks

Your favorite “classic” you read in 2010: Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

The book series you read the most volumes of in 2010: Bone by Jeff Smith (the last 2)

The genre you read the most in 2010: Literary Fiction and Comics

The book that disappointed you: Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett (just because expectation was high!)

The book you liked better than you expected to: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (my first experience with GGM was lukewarm)

The hardest book you read in 2010 (topic or writing style): The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas (because of all the swearings)

The funniest book you read in 2010: Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (did I laugh!)

The saddest book you read in 2010: A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

The shortest book you read in 2010: The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter (149 pp)

The longest book you read in 2010: A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (614 pp)

A book that you discovered in 2010 that you will definitely read again: The History of Love by Nicole Krauss

A book that you never want to read again: I don’t generally reread books, so almost all of them.

And you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

There are 14 Comments to "A 2010 Wrap-up Meme"

• Novroz says:

This looks like a fun meme :) Too bad I have too many posts to write and could squeze this meme into it.

Alice is THAT funny? I’m intrigued now. Will see if I can get my hand on that book.

Hehe my thickest book in 2010 is more than 1000page

• mee says:

Novroz, yes Alice is THAT funny! :D Can’t promise it’d be that funny to everyone, but I just happen to really click with the humour! Make sure you read it in English as there are lots of play words that I’m sure would easily be lost in translation.

Wow thickest book 1000 pages! Can’t remember the last time I read a 1000-page book. Hope it’s a page turner ;)

• Novroz says:

Will do :)
        I have been avoiding translated books since I started reading in English

Actually, I read 2 1000-pages books last year, The Stand (1138) which is the thickest book written by Stephen King and Under The Dome (1074) which is the 3rd thickest book by King. They were certainly page turners…I really like those books.

• mee says:

You know, I never actually read Stephen King before, I don’t think. Some colleagues and I were just talking about his books the other day. Somebody gave away Duma’s Key, which I picked up, but not sure when/if I’m gonna read it. A couple of people mentioned his Dark Towers series being his best.

• Novroz says:

No surprise there :) I have even met people who hate Stephen King. I am not really into The Dark Tower, but that’s maybe because I have only read the first book.

Btw, I have bought Alice :)

• mee says:

I’m sure for every book one loves, there’s another that hates it :). Interesting how different people can be. I would not say I dislike his books of course, as I never read them. I actually plan to read one some time in the future.

Well well I can’t wait to know what you think about Alice. Hope you like it as much as I did!

• stujallen says:

great wrap up mee ,all the best stu

• softdrink says:

Maybe 2011 will be the year I finally read Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Maybe.

• mee says:

softdrink, you should you should! :D I plan to read Through the Looking Glass this year. I liked Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland so much I wanted to save the second part for a while!

• Bellezza says:

Such an interesting way to record your reading for 2010. I liked the ‘questions’ as well as the relative brevity…sometimes I get too bogged down in all the analysis.

• mee says:

Bellezza, I did the post with the full stats and analysis, couldn’t help it :). But this meme is a fun way to wrap-up as well!

• I must stress again to give the Discworld another shot; Equal Rites not indicative of the joy and wonder that is Pratchett (even for fans). Try Guards, Guards or Mort or The Wee Free Men.

• mee says:

Claire, thanks for the encouragement. I’ll definitely keep them in mind. Not this year most probably, but next years are open wide!

Trackbacks